Friday, July 1, 2011

Canada Day


Today is the 1st of July and as such Canada Day. If Canada is celebrating their independence from England, they’re not doing a very good job of it though. They still have queen Elizabeth on their currency and in the month of May they’re celebrating Victoria Day. As an independent country, why anyone would still want to celebrate a queen who is been dead for a number of years is beyond me. But there you have it.

In my neighborhood and over the Toronto skyline I can see fireworks. In the neighborhood they are little more than colored firecrackers, but over downtown Toronto there are some really elaborate displays.

The cats don’t like the noise. From the first bang they ran for cover. Three of the five that is. Mickey is a fearless cat and instead of hiding he wants to see things. He’s positioned himself on the windowsill so he can see far and wide what is going on. Charlie is rather old and I suspect deaf, so the noise doesn’t bother him.

The most significant event of the day is that I started a new novel. Finally. For quite some time now I’ve been walking around with another story in mind, but I couldn’t find a suitable beginning. I made a few attempts, but none of them met my approval. So it was a matter of delete, delete, delete. Now I think I have something though. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment